Thursday, May 08, 2008

Viewpoint Strictly My Own

I am in the minority, I know. I have yet to meet someone who feels the same way I do. But since this is my blog and no one reads it but me, I suppose I can share. :)
I am not a fan of Mother's Day. It's a bogus holiday to me. I know that isn't understood by most, but if it is a day set aside to honor mothers, what does that mean for the rest of the year? If I don't feel honored as a mother on those days, one day set aside for mandatory appreciation will not change that. And if I do feel honored all year round, one day is not going to make those other days more sweet.
Mostly, I feel this way about holidays in general. One day a year to highlight, offer respect, celebrate, honor, etc., doesn't feel right. If you love your family, country, are thankful, hold your personal beliefs dear, don't you express that every day? Do you wait for that one day to roll around and do it only then?
I know most people look forward to holidays and love to celebrate. I'm just not one of them. :)

1 Comments:

At 5/22/2008 3:16 PM , Blogger Kai said...

Chirp, you aren't so much in the minority as you think. I know a LOT of people who don't see a need for many of the holidays. The only two I love are Thanksgiving & Christmas, but NOT for the reasons intended. It has to do with my love of the WEATHER then. LOL! And I love the Christmas season because it's the one time of year when no one makes fun of me for GIVING. Isn't it silly tho' that wanting to give is viewed as suspicious unless it's 'officially' a holiday or celebration?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home